Monday, March 2, 2015

Being A Someone Somewhere

Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.
-William Shakespeare 
Lanes of Mediocrity

I walked into the lanes of mediocrity wishing to be someone great. I wasn't so at the moment. But I wished to. As I walked ahead, observing and exploring I gave my senses an opportunity to capture every characteristic of the many persons around me. The way they talked, the way they dealt with people and just the way they managed to survive there, so that I could do the same.

Being a self made person or an entrepreneur in technical terms requires that one should have the ability of taking risks, thinking big and different, being ones' own boss, being passionate about what one is doing and good execution with an edge to attract people. 
Picture Reference:http://www.garybizzo.com/
10-things-think-know-entrepreneur/
I always wanted to own a business organisation or a company or a brand that spoke about me and my ideas, the charm that would separate me from the rest. Everyday I would sit and draw just about anything unusual that would strike me, it could be apparel, jewelry, electronic appliances, architecture and so on. But everyday I continued to disappoint myself by not coming up with anything different and something that wasn't already seen by the world. After a lot of failed efforts, I planned on doing something unusual in a particular area or space. I went around to different places in Delhi from agrasen ki baoli to a Porsche mall, nothing caught my attention until I visited those lanes of mediocrity, the Moonlight Square, well known as the Chandni Chowk. 
Matar Kulchawala is also an
entrepreneur in Chandni Chowk. 
Entrepreneurs in Bhagirath Palace
selling Ayurveda items
.
I observed here that the best way to survive in an area like this was to offer something so different and guaranteed that any person in the need of that product wouldn't think twice before travelling till Chandni Chowk. I looked at all the lanes and shops and felt that I should provide to the people a kind of structure that would make shopping an easier task for them. The kind that would have most co-related products under the same roof, with the best quality and price so that it omits wastage of time and man power in travelling from one bazaar to the other and the kind that would have lesser competition in the market as well as a good scope for business. It also struck me that I should provide to the people a special advantage that they would hold only when they come to my business organisation which would be helpful to them in some way or the other. I want to create that kind of ambiance and visual culture that people would just sit for long hours listening to sweet melodies, smelling the aromas and taking in the whole essence of the place. 
I spoke to various shopkeepers and asked them about their market strategies, finance , ideas about business but they refused to tell me, I cannot blame them. I wouldn't have either if I were them. After a lot of wandering around in these streets I discovered that a suitable land or property with a reasonable price was available but the real question was as to how I was to use it. Keeping all the pointers in my mind, I thought of a modernised business scheme that was not seen anywhere in chandni chowk but could be appreciated by the people around if it was sold at low rates. 
A bakery with good ambiance.
Picture Reference: http://www.yelp.com/biz
/corner-bakery-cafe-ardmore
I thought of opening a small scale bakery which didn't require a lot of investment. I wanted to see how people adapted or opened up to it. I also thought of starting an online portal for it so that the people living in far off places in Delhi could also experience our beautiful flavours and get a glimpse of what we were offering along with their respective prices and order as and when they wanted. I would build this shop in such a way that I would be able to accommodate a small parking area as an advantage for the customers at my bakery. Chandni Chowk being a really huge place in itself, not many people would be able to locate my small bakery, so in order to make people aware of it I would design interesting posters that will be able to attract more customers to my bakery and promote it at the same time.
Variety in flavors of cakes and pastries
Picture Reference: http://goodyfoodies.blogspot.in/2012/06/
baikohken-ramen-st-leaven-bakery.html
This bakery would offer elegant flavors of cakes and muffins and because it would be situated in chandni chowk, it would offer some Indianian flavors which could also be appreciated by people belonging to lower classes. This way I would be able to satisfy different generations, different classes and different genders. For a lot of time I sat doubting myself and my thoughts but just then I thought to myself that God didn't make me different so that I could be like everyone else so I followed my gut. I don't know if it was the right thing to do, I don't know if weeks from now my bakery would be appreciated but if not for the world, I will be a someone to myself. 
Thinking of being an entrepreneur anywhere is a task in itself, but being one in Chandni Chowk is as challenging as it gets. 
When we allow ourselves to exist truly and fully, we sting the world with our vision and challenge it with our own ways of being. 
- Thomas Moore

1 comment: