Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Binding Knot

What good is in the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness.
-John Steinbeck
Crowded lanes of Chandni chowk
Each one of us have that moment of a black out when we relate two opposite things with each other, when two situations, extremely repelling and bizarre, make you think about one another, the two places that you can never be experiencing at the same time, the two breaths that would never feel the same but yet similar. Well I had one of those moments today.
The 10th of March will always be a memorable day in my books of learning since it was this day, or today that I got myself to think and relate two of my existing life events by a common thread. Since all you readers are aware that I have been working on an assignment in chandni chowk, so all my attention and thoughts are dedicated to it to a large extent. I pretty much sleep with my mind thinking of a solution for its various problems.

But this day brought with it an unusual correlation and observation that has got me wondering even while I sit here conversing with you.
Chicago movie's poster
Picture reference: www.chicago-jp.com

On watching a movie, musical called Chicago which stars Catherine Zeta Jones, Renee Zellweger, Queen Latifah, Richard Gere, John C. Reilly and many other characters, I was taken back to the lanes of chandni chowk which had swarms of people making their way through, each with a feeling of pride, considering oneself as the rare, special one and with an aim to reach a height of success some day. The movie Chicago also had a similar background in which the lead actress Roxie Hart feels that she is the most admired and appreciated by the audience,  irrespective of the sins that she had committed and had an ambition to be the greatest jazz performer of Chicago. She felt like a stranger to her new environment at first but then she camouflaged as time passed just like all the people who visit chandni chowk for the first time. I was one of them too.
The fancy lights in Chandni Chowk
Lights in the movie, Chicago
Picture reference: www.gettyimages.com
As the movie went on, the bling of the lights in those spectacular dance and musical performances took me into the lanes of Bhagirath palace, Asia's largest wholesale market which was popular for its lights and other electronic appliances. I witnessed a few of those fancy lights in the movie that my eyes passed very subtly at the time of observation in chandni chowk. Those bright rays pierced my eyes just like they did back in Chandni Chowk.
The loud claps and murmur of the audience lead my thoughts towards the chaotic environment of chandni chowk where all the sounds merged and developed a typical tone and music.
The entire movie displayed no character eating food or even a capture of any food item, and then out of the blue, I was driven back to Chandni Chowk where the best scope for business was only in the field of food and that at every step I took I would see somebody eating something or the other while this movie had no mention of that major necessity of food in a person's daily life.
Fancy costumes in the movie
Picture reference: www.pinterest.com
Heavily embroidered fabrics
at Chandni Chowk
Then, after examining one aspect my attention diverted to the other, to the bright sequinned costumes of the performers in the musical reminded me of the heavily embroidered and shimmery fabrics found at the Nayi Sarhak. The only difference being that these were adorned on the bodies of international actresses while the latter on plastic, disfigured mannequins.
At this point I was relating just about every scene, every object, every situation to those lanes of mediocrity. Nicholas Sparks said, "Although you may call me a dreamer, a fool, or any other thing, I believe that anything is possible." Well now I can say why.
You couldn't have strength without weakness, you couldn't have light without dark, you couldn't have love without loss
-Jodi Picoult
I guess we just can't do without the contraries in our life..can we?

No comments:

Post a Comment