Monday, March 2, 2015

How To Be An Entrepreneur In Chandni Chowk

All we humans evolve with time. With each passing day, we all want to move to higher level of independence. Not to forget the fact that today’s dynamic environment and high standard of living prompts most of us to try things differently and off the edge.

Entrepreneurship is one such way of achieving that independence along with the freedom of taking own decisions and risks.  But the story doesn't end here. Entrepreneurship is nothing less than an art which should be strategic at the same time because convincing a complex customer to buy is nothing less than a daunting task. Also the risk increases depending upon the market one is planning to operate in.


To start on an entrepreneurial journey from a market like Chandni Chowk can be called what? A curse or a blessing? The reason as to why this question is because Chandni Chowk being one of the Asia’s largest trading markets. The place where you get almost everything and the icing on the cake is the prices are comparatively lower than other markets. Also, the beauty of this market is that it doesn't discriminate between various customers. All the consumers irrespective of their income find their solace in this market.

The idea of starting the journey of independence from this market had a lot of ifs and buts which popped up while pondering upon this decision. The new comers as we know are never welcomed anywhere, adding the fact that the shopkeepers (now competitors) were established for years in the market. The ‘cut-throat’ competition made me skeptical initially but for achieving my sense of freedom, it was to be done.

The first and the fore-most decision was to choose a line of business. Since I had a very keen interest in colors, schemes and patterns, I chose the line of ladies suits (stitched, unstitched). The reason was that I not only had the knowledge of current patterns and choices that were preferred but also I could associate with the feeling the women have while making such a purchase. This step was followed by acquiring the data about the competitors, the varieties they offered, their prices and their sales. All this and other data roughly aided me to see how profitable this entire idea is going to be. Here I would like to mention that I wasn't selling anything totally different but idea was to sell the same things differently.

Till now everything was in the head, the first substantial step was when I took a shop for rent from an old shopkeeper who shifted to Surat and left this shop for my disposal. The savings which I invested as capital gave me the ability to hire two sales people. I chose to hire a boy and a girl. Meanwhile my cousin and I dealt with various suppliers and negotiated on how the stock was to be supplied and on what terms. I must mention that this wasn't an easy task as they were unsure of my capabilities but at the same time I could see a hope in their eyes that could possibly be because they knew I could relate to this line of business as compared to any experienced shopkeeper. The truth was no different. The shopkeepers and the salesmen might be too proactive to know what a customer wants but I had it in my blood. I had the ability to understand the unexpressed needs of the women. As the line I chose was mostly dominated by the bridal and the party wear, the stake and the emotions were high.

Now the suits were neatly piled up on the shelves, of course the most beautiful pieces displayed on manikins; the next and the most important step was pricing the suits. This was pretty much challenging. If I chose higher price than competitors, I had to stop expecting customers and if I quoted a price lesser, my business would run in losses. No matter my expertise of selling was going to be unique, the customers were not yet aware of that. So in order to attract the customers first, I started off with lowest possible prices.

Also, I was lucky to harness the benefit of my photographer friend who helped me in best possible publicity and advertisement. Now everything was under control and looked perfect. Tomorrow marks the opening of my shop and I’m hopeful, too hopeful… 

No comments:

Post a Comment