Sunday, March 15, 2015

Challenging The Mind

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
-Dr. Seuss
Picture reference: www.wildheartscantbe
broken30.wordpress.com
It is well said that the most common practice in the world is following that the best way to learn is to teach but somehow I feel that this theory doesn't completely satisfy every situation that comes around. I strongly believe that the best way to learn is to challenge yourself and your typical way of thinking. From studying for a mathematics exam to examining psychological behavior to creating something rare, every situation will demand for you to challenge yourself and to come out of your shell gracefully.


Likewise, I underwent a similar circumstance in which I was given the responsibility of finding a solution for the helpless people of Bhagirath Palace, Chandni Chowk after doing a detailed study and research of this place.
When I walked into the streets of Chandni  Chowk for the very first time I felt anxious, I felt eager to know more about the place. It felt a little claustrophobic and congested at first but the lively spirit kept me going. I observed the people around me, I observed myself observe. After leaving my first footprint in Chandni Chowk I realised that this module would be an exciting yet a challenging one but I looked up to whatever it held for me. I returned home feeling satisfied and also enthusiastic for the next visit.
As the next visit came along I had a few questions and blockages in my mind regarding a few aspects of the place, so I walked in the hope to get answers, to communicate with strangers and to relieve the boundaries in my head. This was the most interesting part of the assignment, when I got to interact with new people and solve the queries in my mind with the help of people unknown to me. It made me a feel that no matter how lost or confused you are, you will always be able to find peace with either yourself or with someone around you. I went back thinking about those faces, their husky voices and their honest answers, but this time I didn't wish to come back again because after the search for my answers and problems I was meant to find various solutions that would suit the kind of ambiance, culture and economy as that of Bhagirath Palace. I was lost, I failed time and again. I learned from my peers, their attempts as well as their mistakes but no idea in my sketch book made me want to jump with joy. I tried to break through all my thoughts and boundaries, but something somewhere kept me stuck. This was a real challenge.
Until suddenly one of these similar days, when I sat by my bed sketching and doodling, an idea sprang through my brain and I started sketching it out on paper, it felt as though my hands were now under the control of my brain, and I wouldn't be able to stop sketching until my head asked me to. I was eager to find out what my mind was after and I saw it dark and explicit in front of my eyes on the white page of my sketch book. I had finally come up with a suitable solution and a design intervention to resolve a chaat wala's problems of hygiene and storage. It felt right and complete. I took a second opinion from my mentors and my peers, everyone felt the same, they felt that if this design could be implemented in reality then it should definitely be done. I felt the same.
There is no end to learning but if it
is then be sure that an end is always
followed by a new beginning.
It has only been four weeks since I started this learning but I got to learn things that I wouldn't have been able to learn for years from now if it wasn't for this module. Everything played a big role in the achievement of my goal, from my peers to my mentors to all the visits and each and every soul of Chandni Chowk, the essence of this learning couldn't have ever been the same without the presence of any of these characters.
At the end of this, I learned that no matter how much tasks and life try to pull you down, you should never doubt your potential and should always move ahead with a smile on your face and with your chin high up in order to feel that you have the capability of reaching any height if you have the will and passion to do it. So dream big and live big because you only live once.
Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.
-Benjamin Franklin

No comments:

Post a Comment