This module
was all about research, getting to know places. It was more focused on how I
perceive things. I was supposed to pick one place, as in an area for the
research work. I picked Chandni Chowk for as it is typically Indian and is
mischievously fascinating.
![]() |
| Main street view of Chandni chowk |
For me,
being a nature and place enthusiast, Chandni Chowk was like a gold mine. First
day at the Chowk was full of claustrophobia and anxiety. Everything new and
clustered in big piles and people crawling all over place, it was a confusing
place to be at, but I rolled with it. I being a design student am used to piles
of unused stuff around me. And just at a blink of an eye, I started to like the
mess that is Chandni Chowk. The next few trips made me an acquaintance to the
place, people. I started remembering the lanes, short cuts to every place, be
it the places that were even in the remote areas, I knew them, I loved them.
Although
this module was focused more on the knowing places part, I was also supposed to
pick a place inside Chandni Chowk to learn design process progression. I picked
Bhagirath Palace for that matter. For those among you who don’t know about this
place, it is like one of the biggest wholesale markets for electrical
appliances in Asia. Although, the name suggests the place would be like a big
palace with a lot of wonderfully big shops inside, well guess what, it’s not!
It is even more claustrophobic and is throbbed with people all the time.
I saw some
major problems areas there. No proper drainage system, no hygiene, risks of
electrocution, accessibility problems, no sign boards, storage problems and
what not. It was ironic to see that the place which is supposed to one of the
biggest wholesale markets in Asia faces so many problems and it is all due to
poor architectural planning.
![]() |
| Bhagirath Pakace |
Moving
further in the module, I had to pick one particular opportunity area to work on
and find a design solution to fix the problem. Accessibility seemed like a vast
area where I could actually find enough parts to research on. The major
accessibility problem that bugged me the most was how the workers used to carry
products from their godowns to their shops. In Bhagirath, shops are located far
away from their godowns so the workers had to carry products from long distances
and then get them through the narrow lanes safely to the shops. The sad part is
that only a few times they used to manage to bring the products safely, other
times it either got damaged or broken. So potential stuff getting wasted is a
major loss and is something I have been working on for the past few weeks. I
have come up with ideas like a movable trolley, adjustable stretcher, wide open
bags etc, but all of them seem to even increase the traffic of that place.
Although, I
came up with the idea of a bag for the workers. It has to be hanged preferably
on their back, with a stand to hold the items. It has adjustable bands to even
tighten the plastic sheet that covers and protects the items. It was all
possible after a week of understanding and implementing the principles of
ergonomics. I am still working on the look of the bag.
I love the fact that we were given freedom in
this module in a lot of ways and it made me realize that I have seized the opportunity
to actually know Delhi, the old Delhi. But more on this later, so bye fellow
bloggers and, or fellow readers.


No comments:
Post a Comment